- This event has passed.
Backstrap Weaving Workshop – June 2023
18 June @ 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Weaving tutor Alexandra Lucas will be bringing her handmade looms to teach backstrap weaving at our June meeting.
Cost is £60 for members of the Bucks Guild of WSD, £80 for non members, booking required in advance. There are only 12 places available on the workshop. Please email email@example.com for a booking form.
LOCATION: Haddenham Village Hall, Banks Road, Haddenham, HP17 8EE
Scroll down to see a map. If you follow a SatNav, check it doesn’t send you down Crossways. The one way entrance to the car park is from Banks Road.
FACILITIES: Free Parking. Disabled access. WiFi. Teas/Coffee and Cake.
GUILD MEMBERS : £60 for workshop. Social crafting free – meetings attendance is included in annual membership fee.
VISITOR COST: £80 for workshop, otherwise £5.00 per visitor, per meeting.
Backstrap weaving is a practice that originates mainly in South America and
South East Asia, as well as in Eastern Europe to make traditional textiles.
The whole loom relies on the weaver resting the “backstrap” on their waist
which is connected to the front and back beams, which in turn are connected to a sturdy surface (be it a table, a tree or your bed). You, as the weaver, are the driving force that makes the whole loom come together. It relies on your movement to open up the shed sticks and grow the piece.
During the workshop, you’ll learn how to do the following:
● The structure of the backstrap loom and how it works.
● Setting up your loom from scratch for tapestry weaving.
● Attaching the warp strings from the back to front beam with the right
● Attaching the shed stick and heddles to the warp.
● Understanding the mechanics of the loom and how it works with the
movement of your body.
● Basic stitching, as well as weft interlocking.
● Add the third beam to your weaving when your piece becomes longer
as your progress.
● Finishing techniques for when the piece is taken off the loom.
● For those who are more advanced, there will be an extra option to learn
traditional band-weaving, “krajki.”
After the class, Alex will send you a PDF that you can refer back to
as you continue your weaving journey! You’ll also be welcome to email her if
you have any questions.
All levels welcome, even if you’ve never tried weaving before!
*If you would like to continue your weaving at home, you can buy a hand
carved and handmade Backstrap Loom Kit online for a special workshop price of £80.